Thursday, November 21, 2013

What Did You Say?

Sitting with the family tonight, having a time of family prayer and devotions, my 9 years old son asks a very serious question. "We say that we ask Jesus into our hearts. I'm confused. What does that mean? Your heart is just pumping blood. How do we know He's really there?"



I have failed as a good, Christian mom!! It's over, I give back every one of my chips of jewels that were to adorn my gold plated crown when I die and reach the eternal rest of heaven! Where did I go wrong? How in the world did I make my poor child believe that he must actually have a cracked open chest and Jesus actually lives in his little heart? Kids are so literal….and I forgot that!

It's not enough that we good intentioned parents realize how desperately we need Jesus, but that we find a way to share that with our kids in a way that actually doesn't scare them to death or freak them out or just honestly, causes them to say this isn't real, cause it just can't happen! How many times have you heard this phrase, "All you have to do is pray and ask Jesus in your heart."? How many times have I said it? Uggh!! Lord, I know you don't expect much out of me, but really, you could have stopped this one a long time ago!! Goodness, I feel like an absolute failure. So, what do I do now?

Honestly, I gotta tell you that I have no idea! God, (yes, it's me, again) I need Your help here! A childlike faith is what you tell us we need, and I've been shoveling grown up portions of the truth to someone who just isn't ready to deal with that, what do I do now? I know that the thief on the cross is as saved as saved can be, and living with you in Paradise, why can't I just remember to say that all you have to do is say, "Lord, I believe."

QUESTION: Have you found a good children's devotional book that you'd like to recommend? Post the title here, I'd love to check some new ones!

Have a character building day!
Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! Together we can build each other up!